15 May Pancake Cereal 4 ways
I’m sure you’ve heard about the Dalgona Coffee craze that took TikTok by storm earlier this year. Well, I’m here to tell you about the next internet food craze – pancake cereal!
It’s not hard to see why this genius idea is going viral on social media – I mean, eating mini little golden crunchy pancakes with a spoon, covered in your favourite topping? Yes please!
Whether you choose to pour milk over them and eat them like cereal, or add a knob of butter and a generous drizzle of syrup and eat them like pancakes is entirely up to you! Either way I have no doubt you’ll be making these again and again!
Using a squeeze bottle to drop your batter onto your frying pan makes life a whole lot easier, otherwise you could use a piping bag or even a ziplock bag with the corner cut off.
3 tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 large egg
5ml vanilla essence (1 tsp)
- Sift together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat together the egg, milk and vanilla essence.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, and add half of the egg/milk mixture. Whisk well until smooth .
- Gradually add the remaining liquid in a thin stream and whisk until the ingredients are combined and you have smooth, thick batter.
- Decant the mixture into a squeeze bottle – if there are lumps these may clog the nozzle so if it’s not smooth you can pass it through a sieve.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium-low heat and lightly grease with about a teaspoon of oil.
- Working quickly, squeeze small drops of batter (about a teaspoon each) all over the surface of the pan. Leave a little space between the drops as they will spread a bit.
- Once the mini pancakes start bubbling on the surface, flip them over and cook for 15-30 seconds more. I initially used chopsticks to turn them each individually but after a while I got impatient and just turned as many as I could at once with an egg lifter. They cook very quickly so this works well enough!
- Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve warm with butter and maple syrup or pour over cold milk and eat like cereal!
– to make chocolate pancake cereal, replace 1 tbsp flour with 1 tbsp cocoa. Serve with a generous sprinkling of chocolate chips.
– to make apple & cinnamon pancake cereal add 3 tbsp apple sauce and 1 tsp ground cinnamon to the batter.
– to make funfetti pancake cereal, add 2 tsp of sprinkles to the squeeze bottle just before cooking the batter and stir 1 tbsp sprinkles through the cooked pancakes while still warm.