05 Aug Clemengold® Custard Tartlets
We all know and love the juicy, zesty flavour of a Clemengold® -perfectly delicious as it is! They also work wonderfully in baking, and I’ve really enjoyed experimenting with them the last few weeks. What I love about using Clemengolds® in desserts is their amazing versatility. Their sweet, juicy mandarin flavour works equally well in a light, citrusy dessert as it does in a rich, chocolate cake; in a refreshing summer cocktail or a comforting winter pud.
These Clemengold® Custard Tartlets allow that delicious mandarin flavour to really shine through. The tangy, creamy Clemengold® custard is encased in a crisp pastry shell, and topped with light swirl of whipped cream. Simple, elegant and utterly delicious!
Clemengolds are in season and available now exclusively at Woolworth’s stores.
For the pastry:
300g Woolworths Shortcrust Pastry mix or make your own
For the Clemengold® custard filling:
70g sugar (⅓ cup)
15ml finely grated Clemengold® zest (1 tbsp)
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
85ml Clemengold® juice (⅓ cup)
15ml lemon juice (1 tbsp)
60ml cream (¼ cup)
30ml icing sugar (1 tbsp)
- Make your shortcrust pastry according to the directions, then chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to about 4mm thick, then cut out 6 circles and use to line 6 fluted tartlet tins (approx. 8cm in diameter). Press the pastry gently into the edges of the tins and remove any excess with a sharp knife. Chill again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Top each pastry with baking paper and fill with baking beans (or uncooked rice/lentils). Place on a baking tray and bake blind for 15 minutes, then remove the paper and baking beans and bake for a further 5-10 minutes, until light golden brown and cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly on the baking tray. Reduce the oven temperature to 140°C.
- To make the custard, whisk the sugar and Clemengold® zest together in a large bowl, mixing well to infuse with maximum Clemengold® flavour. Add the eggs and the egg yolk and mix gently (trying not to incorporate too much air).
- Stir in the Clemengold® juice and lemon juice and stir dissolve the sugar. Lastly stir in the cream. Strain the mixture into a jug.
- Carefully pour the custard mixture into each of the 6 baked pastry cases and return to the oven for about 25 minutes. The custard should be mostly set with a slight wobble in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for about an hour to fully set the custard. The tartlets are best enjoyed the same day, but can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- When you are ready to serve, whip the cream and icing sugar to stiff peaks. Fill a piping bag with a petal nozzle and pipe swirls of cream on top of the custard, or simply dollop some cream on top!