23 Sep Peppermint Crisp Cheesecake
Peppermint Crisp tart. The iconic South African dessert made with 4 simple ingredients: Tennis Biscuits, Caramel Treat, Cream and peppermint Crisp chocolates. No matter how many variations I throw your way, you guys never seem to get tired of it – my Peppermint Crisp desserts are some of my most popular recipes on the blog!
This Peppermint Crisp Cheesecake is a slightly more grown-up take on the classic. A crunchy biscuit crust encases a mousse-like caramel cheesecake filling, topped with clouds of vanilla chantilly cream and crumbled Peppermint Crisp. The cream cheese adds a melt in the mouth texture with just enough tang to cut through the caramel sweetness. The overall result is a neater, more sophisticated version of Peppermint Crisp tart that would work just as well at your next braai, as it would at a dinner party!
For the base:
250g Tennis biscuits
1 x 49g Peppermint Crisp
120g salted butter, melted
For the filling:
375g full fat cream cheese, room temperature
450g Caramel Treat (1¼ tins)
60ml cream (¼ cup)
10ml gelatine (2 tsp)
20ml water (4 tsp)
For the topping:
15ml icing sugar (1 tbsp)
5ml vanilla essence (1 tsp)
1 x 49g Peppermint Crisp
- Grease and line a 23cm springform tin with baking paper. Place the Tennis Biscuits into a food processor and process until you have fine crumbs. Break the Peppermint Crisp bar into pieces, add to the biscuit crumbs and process again. Drizzle in the melted butter and mix well.
- Add the biscuit mixture to the prepared tin and spread it evenly over the base and up the sides of the tin. Use the back of a glass to press it down firmly. Refrigerate while you make the filling.
- Sprinkle the gelatine over the water and leave to bloom for at least 5 minutes.
- Using an electric or stand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth, then add the Caramel Treat and mix well. Beat in the cream.
- Microwave the bloomed gelatine on the defrost setting/low power, for 5 seconds at a time until completely melted, stirring in between. Do not allow the mixture to boil. Allow to cool slightly, then add to the cream cheese mixture and beat well.
- Spoon the filling into the biscuit base and smooth the top. Chill for at least 3 hours until set (or up to 2 days if you are making this in advance).
- Whip the cream, icing sugar and vanilla essence until stiff. Spread over the cheesecake filling and use the back of a spoon to create swirls or peaks. Chop the Peppermint Crisp and sprinkle over the top.
- Serve within a few hours as the peppermint shards will become sticky.