18 Aug Peppermint Crisp & Caramel Brownies
I recently posted several Peppermint Crisp Tart- inspired recipes on Instagram, and was again amazed at just how popular this dessert is! Based on the overwhelmingly positive response I received, I felt it was about time I shared a new PCT-inspired recipe. It’s one that I’ve been wanting to try for a while, and I must say it turned out even better than I had hoped.
I guess combining two perfect things (Brownies and Peppermint Crisp Tart) is guaranteed to produce a spectacular result! The brownies are rich and fudgy., with just the right amount of creamy caramel and minty Peppermint Crisp!
These Peppermint Crisp and Caramel Brownies are definitely a level up from your regular brownies, but don’t require much extra effort to make. To achieve the beautiful layers, you simply bake half the brownie batter for a short time, then top with the Caramel Treat and remaining brownie batter. Sprinkle with chopped Peppermint Crisps and bake again. It’s as easy as that!
(Makes 16 squares)
180g salted butter
300g brown sugar (1½ cups)
10ml vanilla essence (2 tsp)
3 large eggs
140g flour (1 cup)
55g cocoa (½ cup)
1 x 360g tin Caramel Treat
3 x 49g Peppermint Crisp Chocolates
- Preheat your oven to 170°C. Grease and line a 20cm x 20cm square baking tin with baking paper, leaving the edges long so that its easy to pull out later.
- Melt the butter and cool to room temperature. Add the brown sugar and vanilla essence, and mix well.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir the flour and cocoa together, then gradually mix in to the batter until there are no streaks of flour visible.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the centre is fudgy and soft but cooked through.
- Empty the Caramel Treat into a bowl, then use a fork or a whisk to beat until smooth and spreadable. Roughly chop up the Peppermint Crisps.
- Allow the brownies to cool for 5 minutes, then spread the Caramel Treat on top in an even layer. Spoon the remaining brownie batter over and use a spatula to spread it very gently over the caramel, being careful not to mix the two layers together. Sprinkle over the chopped Peppermint Crisps.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the brownies are cooked through but still fudgy. Allow to cool in the tin for about 1 hour, then lift out using the baking paper edges. Leave to cool to room temperature then cut into squares or bars.
- Store the brownies in an airtight container for up to 3 days.