23 Sep Malva Pudding Cupcakes with Custard Cream Cheese Icing
It’s almost Heritage Day/ Braai Dayand if you’re looking for some dessert inspiration I’ve got you covered! Why not try these delicious Malva Pudding Cupcakes with a Custard Cream Cheese Icing? Your friends and family will love this delicious take on a South African classic! The icing is flavoured with custard powder, but the real secret ingredient is Lancewood Cream Cheese. It adds an extra creaminess and cuts through the sweetness to round off the Malva cupcakes perfectly! This recipe serves 12 so it’s perfect for a big braai day gathering!
This post was sponsored by Lancewood. All text and options are 100% my own.
2 large eggs
45ml apricot jam (3 tbsp)
30ml butter (2 tbsp)
15ml vinegar (1 tbsp)
5ml bicarbonate of soda (1 tsp)
For the sauce:
50g sugar (¼ cup)
125ml cream (½ cup)
60ml water (¼ cup)
For the icing:
175g unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g LANCEWOOD Medium Fat Plain Cream Cheese, at room temperature
600g icing sugar, sifted
15ml vanilla essence (1 tbsp)
60ml custard powder (¼ cup)
15ml water (1 tbsp)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until pale, thick and creamy.
- Melt the butter and jam together, then stir in the vinegar. Add this mixture to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda together then add to the egg mixture alternately with the milk.
- Divide the batter between the 12 cupcake liners and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Just before the cupcakes are done, make the sauce. Add all ingredients to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for a few minutes, then remove from the heat.
- As soon as the cupcakes are done, quickly prick each one a few times with a fork. Pour the hot sauce over the cupcakes and leave for 15 minutes to soak in.
- Remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth and combined.
- Gradually add the icing sugar and beat until completely combined.
- Add the vanilla essence, custard powder and water and beat until smooth.
- Place into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
- Pipe a generous swirl of icing onto each cupcake and enjoy!
- Best enjoyed on the same day. Refrigerate leftover cupcakes in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving,