26 Jul Chocolate and Clemengold® Truffle Torte
It’s that glorious time of year when our shops are filled with a variety of gorgeous citrus fruit. My favourite amongst these is juicy, sweet Clemengolds® (which are exclusively available at Woolworths). If I can get to them before my husband devours the whole bag, I love using them in baking as they are easy-to-peel and seedless as well!
This Chocolate and Clemengold® Truffle Torte is incredibly rich and decadent, with a hint of zesty citrus. As it contains no flour, the texture is dense and fudgy (plus it’s gluten-free!). The Clemengold® syrup adds just the right amount of sweetness and freshness to balance the bittersweet chocolate. Bright Clemengold® slices finish this dessert off beautifully and add a gorgeous pop of colour.
This sophisticated torte is perfect for entertaining as it can be made in advance, and only uses 5 ingredients! Just a small slice will satisfy that chocolate craving, so it easily feeds 10-12 people.
For the torte:
400g dark chocolate (preferably 70% cocoa solids)
250g salted butter
6 large eggs
10ml finely grated Clemengold® zest (2 tsp)
For the Clemengold® syrup:
250ml freshly squeezed Clemengold® juice
fresh Clemengold® slices
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Grease a 20cm springform tin and line the base with baking paper. Grease the paper and sides of the tin very well. Wrap two layers of foil tightly around the tin.
- Finely chop the chocolate and place into a heatproof bowl. Cut the butter into cubes and add to the chocolate. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until completely melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the sugar, eggs and Clemengold® zest into a large bowl, then use a stand mixer or electric mixer to beat for 10-15 minutes. The mixture should become very pale and thick, and triple in volume.
- Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, then pour into the prepared tin.
- Place the tin into a larger oven dish or baking tin and fill up with boiling water to halfway up the sides of the cake tin to create a water bath. Bake for 25-30 minutes. It will still be very wobbly but will firm up on cooling.
- Carefully remove the cake from the water bath and set aside to cool at room temperature for about an hour. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- To make the syrup, place the Clemengold® juice and sugar into a small saucepan. Heat over a low heat, stirring continuously until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat to medium and bring the liquid to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and syrupy. Strain through a fine sieve then set aside to cool.
- To serve, use a palate knife to loosen the torte from the edges of the cake tin, then invert the torte onto a serving plate. Decorate with Clemengold® slices and serve with the Clemengold® syrup on the side. The torte is best served at room temperature.
- The torte can be stored for up to 1 week in the fridge.