18 Nov Caramel Peppermint Crisp Truffles
If you told me to make a dessert with coconut biscuits, caramel and peppermint chocolate I would say that is way too many flavours in one dish! Yet Peppermint Crisp Tart is one of the most well-loved desserts in South Africa, proving that the flavours work together fabulously.
These Caramel Peppermint Crisp truffles combine all the delicious flavours of the famous dessert into little bite-sized balls of joy.
If you can bear to give them away, these would make a fabulous gift for that friend of yours. You know, the one who LOVES Peppermint Crisp Tart – we all know at least one!
2 x 49g Peppermint Crisp bars, straight from the fridge
200g Tennis Biscuits
180g (½ tin) Caramel Treat
200g caramel cooking chocolate*
- Process the Tennis Biscuits in a food processor until you have fine crumbs.
- Add in the Caramel Treat and blend until smooth.
- Finely chop the Peppermint Crisp bars. Set aside 3 tablespoons of the crushed chocolate for later. Add the remainder to the biscuit mixture and blend until evenly mixed.
- Roll the mixture into balls (approximately 2 teaspoons each) and place onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours, until firm.
- Melt the caramel chocolate over a pan of simmering water (or in the microwave). Dip each caramel peppermint crisp truffle into the chocolate and coat completely. Place onto a lined baking tray and quickly sprinkle with the reserved crushed Peppermint Crisp before the chocolate sets.
- Place the coated truffles back into the fridge until ready to serve.
*Available at baking stores and some Pick ‘n Pay’s