23 Jul Blueberry Streusel Muffins
Around 3pm is when I normally hit that late afternoon slump and start craving a cuppa. Preferably with a little sweet treat of sorts! These blueberry streusel muffins are the ideal pick-me-up. They have everything a perfect blueberry muffin should have – a soft and tender crumb, loads of juicy blueberries and my favourite part – a delicious crunchy streusel topping. One could certainly give the topping a skip, but I feel that once you’ve tried it you simply won’t want to do without it!
These muffins also freeze exceptionally well – I like to wrap them up individually before freezing and then just take one out when I need a snack in a hurry (or a special lunchbox treat!). If they lose their crunch at all, simply pop them into a 180C oven for 2-3 minutes.
(makes 12 )
For the muffins:
210g flour (1½ cups)
150g sugar (¾ cup)
10ml baking powder (2 tsp)
2,5ml salt (½ tsp)
100ml vegetable oil
125ml milk (½ cup)
1 large egg
10ml vanilla essence (2 tsp)
250ml fresh blueberries (1 cup) + 1 tsp flour
50g sugar (¼ cup)
45g flour (⅓ cup)
45ml salted butter (3 tbsp)
- Start by making the streusel topping. Stir together the sugar and flour, then add the melted butter and mix well. Refrigerate while you make the muffins.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a muffin tin with 12 paper cases.
- In a large bowl, combine the 210g flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, milk, egg and vanilla essence.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, then add the oil mixture. Stir lightly until just combined – do not overmix.
- Stir the 1tsp of flour through the blueberries (this prevents them from sinking), then lightly stir them through the muffin batter.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 cases, then sprinkle over the chilled streusel topping.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes in the tray, then remove to a cooling rack. Best served warm!
- Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days. To reheat, place in a preheated 180°C oven for 2-3 minutes.