22 Jun Apricot & Almond Granola Bars with a Yoghurt Topping
Granola is one of my favourite snacks any time of day! When I’ve got a sweet craving but am trying to be a little healthier granola really hits the spot. Transforming granola into granola bars means you can have a guilt-free snack on-the-go anytime! These delicious bars are packed with oats, almonds, honey and little apricot jewels for a burst of fruity freshness.
Crunchy granola is just not the same without thick and creamy yoghurt. That’s why I couldn’t resist adding a tangy yoghurt topping. This layer adds a lovely creamy element that is not too sweet and is packed with all the extra nutrients that you’d expect in NutriDay yoghurt.
(makes 12 bars)
For the granola bars:
2 ½ cups oats
1 cup slivered or flaked almonds
1 cup puffed rice (unsweetened) or cornflakes
100g dried apricots (½ cup)
170g honey (½ cup)
30ml brown sugar (2 tbsp)
45ml coconut oil or butter (3 tbsp)
5ml vanilla essence (1 tsp)
For the topping:
500g NutriDay Double Cream Plain Yoghurt
60ml icing sugar (¼ cup)
30ml coconut oil or butter (2 tbsp)
1 drop almond essence (optional)
5ml gelatine (1 tsp)
15ml water (1 tbsp)
- Start with the yoghurt topping. Line a sieve with a piece of cheesecloth/muslin (or even a clean pillowcase). Place this sieve over a bowl. Pour the Nutriday Double Cream Plain Yoghurt onto the lined sieve, then use the overhanging cheesecloth to cover the yoghurt. Place in the fridge to strain for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Place the 250g of the strained yoghurt into a bowl (you can discard the liquid whey or use it as a buttermilk substitute) and sift in the icing sugar. Stir until smooth. Melt the coconut oil and stir into the yoghurt mixture with the almond essence (if using). Sprinkle the gelatine over the water and leave to bloom for 10 minutes. Gently warm the liquid at 5-second intervals in the microwave, stirring in-between, then stir into the yoghurt mixture. Mix until smooth then refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Place the oats and almonds onto a baking tray. Toast in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C. Line a 20cm square tin with baking paper.
- Chop the apricots very finely. Add the toasted oats and almonds to a large bowl and stir in the puffed rice and apricots.
- Place the honey, brown sugar and coconut oil into a small bowl or jug and microwave for 30 seconds or until the coconut oil is melted. Stir in the vanilla essence. Pour this mixture over the oat mixture and stir well until completely combined.
- Pour into the prepared tin and use the back of a glass dusted with flour or icing sugar to press the mixture down firmly. Bake for 20 minutes, then press down with the glass again. Allow to cool in the tin for 30 minutes, then lift the baking paper out and slice into 12 bars. If the bars are still warm allow them to cool for another 10 minutes or they will fall apart when you slice them.
- Spread over the yoghurt topping and freeze the bars for 30 minutes to set the topping.
- To ensure the bars stay crispy, store them in an airtight container in the freezer and simply allow to defrost for 45 minutes before serving.