01 Jun Yoghurt Parfait with Figs and Walnut Crumble
Figs are in season right now and I just love using them in desserts! Their beautiful purple skin and crimson flesh look so striking and luscious. Ripe figs have a sweet and nutty flavour that pairs particularly well with creamy, tangy Danone Nutriday Double Cream Plain Yoghurt. Walnuts and figs also go wonderfully together, so I combined all three to make a beautiful, seasonal dessert. Since the yoghurt is unsweetened, a touch of honey really brings this dessert to life. Feel free to adjust the amount of honey to taste!
*For a lighter dessert or breakfast parfait, omit the cream from the parfait and simply use chopped, toasted walnuts or granola instead of the walnut crumble.
For the Walnut Crumble:
100g flour (¾ cup)
50g brown sugar (¼ cup)
70g cold salted butter, cubed (5 tbsp)
5ml vanilla essence (1 tsp)
60g walnuts, finely chopped (½ cup)
For the Yoghurt Parfait:
250ml Nutriday Double Cream Yoghurt (1 cup)
250ml cream (1 cup)
5ml finely grated orange zest (1 tsp)
45ml honey (3 tbsp) plus extra for serving
6 fresh figs, halved
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Place the flour and brown sugar into a food processor and add the cubed butter. Blitz until you have fine crumbs. Add the vanilla essence and blend again. Lastly, stir in the finely chopped walnuts. (If you don’t have a food processor, add the flour and sugar to a large bowl and grate in the cold butter. Rub it into the dry ingredients with your fingertips until you have fine crumbs).
- Spread the crumble mixture onto the baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool completely on the tray then store in an airtight container until needed (up to 3 days).
- To make the parfait, place the yoghurt, cream, orange zest and honey into a bowl. Whip the mixture with an electric or stand mixer for a few minutes until you have stiff peaks. Place into a piping bag and refrigerate for an hour or up to 1 day.
- When you are ready to serve, place a few tablespoons of the walnut crumble into the bottom of a glass. Pipe on a layer of the yoghurt parfait and top each dessert with 3 fig halves. Drizzle with extra honey if desired.
- Best served within 6 hours of assembling as the crumble will start to go soft.