24 Jan Easy No-bake Biscoff Cheesecake
Let me just be clear about one thing. I am completely and utterly addicted to Biscoff spread. This glorious stuff (also known as cookie butter or speculoos spread) is a made from speculoos cookie crumbs and has a lightly-spiced, biscuity, toffee flavour. The texture is similar to Nutella – thick and spreadable, and gloriously liquid when melted.
Originally invented in Belgium, speculoos spread is popular in Europe and has recently grown a cult following in the US as well, where it is marketed as Biscoff. Sadly for South Africans, this product is not easily available. So you can imagine my delight when I was gifted a jar of Biscoff spread AND a packet of Biscoff cookies by the Happiness Factory!
I took a huge amount of effort not to gobble up the whole lot immediately and come up with a dessert recipe using both. Not wanting to detract from the incredible Biscoff flavour, I decided to keep things very simple. A crunchy Biscoff biscuit base, a mousse-like cheesecake layer and lastly a generous blanket of pure Biscoff spread on top. The result is heavenly – crunchy, creamy, sweet and loads of Biscoff flavour in every bite! You might want to save this one for cheat day…
For the base:
250g Biscoff / Speculoos cookies
80g salted butter, melted
For the cheesecake layer:
500g full-fat cream cheese
100g icing sugar
For the topping:
300g Biscoff/ Speculoos spread
- Line a 23cm springform tin with greaseproof paper.
- Process the biscuits in a food processor until you have fine crumbs. Add the melted butter and mix until well-blended. Press the mixture firmly into the base of the prepared tin. Freeze for 5 minutes.
- Beat the cream cheese with an electric or stand mixer until smooth. Add half the icing sugar and mix well.
- Whip the cream with the remaining icing sugar until stiff peaks form. Stir about a third of the cream into the cream cheese mixture, then gently fold the rest of the cream in until completely combined. Do not overmix. Refrigerate the cheesecake for at least 3 hours.
- Gently heat the Biscoff/Speculoos spread in the microwave at 20-second intervals, until it is liquid. Pour this over the set cheesecake mixture and either serve immediately (with the warm Speculoos topping dripping down the sides) or refrigerate again until ready to serve (the Speculoos will set in the fridge and create a neat layer)