04 Dec Bakers Choice Assorted® Dessert Sharing Board
When Bakers® sent me a box of Bakers Choice Assorted® to make a festive dessert with, I had a really hard time choosing which of my favourite favourite biscuits to use! As such I decided to use all of the biscuits to make this delicious dessert sharing board.
I used 3 of the biscuit varieties to make mini desserts: mini Bakers Red Label® Lemon Cream trifles, Bakers Topper® cherry swirl ice cream sandwiches and mini Bakers Nuttikrust® caramel cheesecakes. Each recipe makes 12 mini desserts, which look beautiful when arranged on a large board or platter with some fresh berries, chocolate sauce and the remaining Bakers® biscuits. This way your guests get to try a little bit of everything, and have a lot of fun sharing!
Bakers Topper® Cherry Swirl Topper Ice Cream Sandwiches
210g black cherries in syrup (½ a tin)
10ml cornflour (2 tsp)
10ml water (2 tsp)
squeeze of lemon juice
250ml fresh cream (1 cup)
5ml vanilla essence (1 tsp)
190g condensed milk, chilled (½ a tin)
12 Bakers Topper® Chocolate Flavoured Cream Biscuits
- Add the cherries and syrup to a food processor and blitz until almost smooth. Pour the purée into a saucepan.
- Mix together the cornflour and water, then add to the cherries. Heat the pan over low heat, stirring frequently until the mixture boils and thickens, around 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice to taste. Cover with cling wrap and set aside to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until cool.
- Grease and line a flat dish (about 16 x 22 cm) with baking paper. Whip the cream and vanilla essence to soft peak stage. Fold in the chilled condensed milk. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish.
- Drop spoonfuls of the chilled cherry sauce onto the ice cream and use a knife to swirl it through. You may not need all the sauce. Freeze for at least 6 hours.
- Slice the Bakers Topper® Chocolate Flavoured Cream Biscuits in half. Once the ice cream is frozen solid, lift it out of the dish and place onto a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to slice the ice cream into rectangles the same size as the biscuits. Quickly sandwich the ice cream together with 2 Bakers Topper® biscuits and return to the freezer for at least 2 hours before serving.
Mini Bakers Red Label® Lemon Cream Trifles
(makes 12 x 60ml shooters)
6 Bakers Red Label® Lemon Cream biscuits
250ml vanilla custard (1 cup)
15ml lemon curd (1 tbsp)
250ml fresh cream (1 cup)
45ml icing sugar (3 tbsp)
- Blitz the Bakers Red Label® Lemon Cream biscuits in a food processor until you have coarse crumbs. Mix together the vanilla custard and lemon curd until smooth. Whip the cream and icing sugar together until thick and spoon into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
- Add about 2 teaspoons of Bakers Red Label® Lemon Cream crumbs to the bottom of 12 X 60ml shooter glass or small jars. Next add about 2 teaspoons of the lemon custard on top of the crumbs. Pipe a layer of cream on top of the custard.
- Repeat, finishing with a swirl of cream. Refrigerate until ready to serve (best made on the day of serving).
Mini Bakers Nuttikrust® Caramel Cheesecakes
(makes 12 x 4cm cheesecakes)
12 Bakers Nuttikrust®
30ml salted butter, melted (2 tbsp)
5ml powder gelatine (1 tsp)
15ml water (1 tbsp)
125g full-fat cream cheese, softened
100g tinned caramel
125ml caramel popcorn (½ cup)
- Line a mini muffin tray with mini cupcake liners. Blitz the Bakers Nuttikrust® in a food processor until you have fine crumbs. Add the melted butter and process again until well blended. Divide the mixture equally between the 12 muffin cups and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the gelatine over the water in a small heat-proof bowl. Leave to sponge for 5 minutes, then microwave at 5-second intervals until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Whip the cream cheese with an electric mixer, then add the tinned caramel and beat well. Add the cooled gelatine and mix until completely smooth. Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin cups and refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours.
- Just before serving, unmould the cheesecakes and remove the cupcake wrappers. Decorate with caramel popcorn.
Assembling the Dessert Board
200g milk chocolate
125ml cream (½ cup)
12 mini Bakers Red Label® Lemon Cream trifles
12 Bakers Nuttikrust® caramel cheesecakes
12 Bakers Topper® cherry swirl ice cream sandwiches
250ml fresh strawberries, rinsed (1 cup)
250ml fresh cherries (1 cup)
remaining Bakers Choice Assorted® biscuits from 1kg box
- Melt the chocolate and cream together over a double boiler, stirring frequently until smooth (or in the microwave on low power, stirring at 30-second intervals). Pour the sauce into a dish and place in the centre of your board.
- Place the strawberries into one bowl, and the cherries into another, then place on the board. Arrange the mini desserts at three different points, then fill in the space with the remaining Bakers® biscuits.
- Serve immediately!